Thursday, July 25, 2013

Vampire Weekend; Modern Vamps

New format kids (calm down, it's not that exciting).  Here is how it works.  I get the Music, listen to it 3 times and tell you if it sucks or not.  My kids and wife (say "Hi" Renee.....kidding, she doesn't read my drivel) are also tested on it and I plan to share a 1 to 2 sentence reaction from them.  With that said, grab a beer, clean your glasses off and give me 3 minutes of your day:

"Modern Vampires of the City" is the third studio album (there could be more, but c'mon, who cares, no one is reading this anyway) does NOT disappoint.  Unlike many artists' 3rd-go-round, Vamp sticks to what is knows and does best and only adds to their formula of success with tweaks like voice modulation (check out "Diane Young", which is likely a play on words (dying young) and also a jab at the late Teddy Kennedy Bridge/Woman/Death thang').  They seem to play more with organs and strings (check out "Step" or "Don't Lie") and certainly a more mature, less "cute" feel (which feel I liked in their first self-titled album and second album "Contra").  The maturity fits and it works.

My favorites are:

Step - This song seems to be about a relationship and progressing to the next step; needing that person.  Hits home and I fucking like it.  Starting with their early college years, travels and distances between them etc.  "The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth out, what you on about, I feel it in my bones, I feel it in my bones, I'm strong enough I'm ready for the house......I cant do it alone...".)

Hannah Hunt - This song - - shocker - - is also about relationships...and travel...and trust.  Spoiler: does not sound like this 'ship worked out for Erza *awe, frowny face*.  Good song, low key, almost tribal beat and that picks up at the end after he describes his cross-country journey with...yeah, Hannah (duh).

Finger Back - One of the many faster tracks with an upbeat tempo and portions that remind of a punk feel. The speed of the music is matched by Ezra's quick choppy cadence of the lyrics.  Not really sure what the song is about (probably some broad) but I like it for the title lyrics: "bend my finger back, snap, wrap it in a paper towel, break a twig in half and set it straight."  Gross, but how he sings it makes it better and certainly less gross....maybe.

Rhys and Carys loved Diane Young for its fast and fun beat.  They also thought it was really funny how he altered his voice and how it goes in and out of a fast paced surfer rock to a very down tempo song. Certainly a kid friendly album (but don't recommend explaining the lyrics to them).

Check it out.  Do it already.




No comments:

Post a Comment